1908 Brevard Lumber Company opened in Brevard NC by the Jenkins family. The first store was opened on the same site where it is currently located on King St.
1945 Don Jenkins returned from serving in the military in World War II to work for his father at Brevard Lumber. After a short time, Don took over the daily operations of the business.
1962 Don Jenkins completed the construction and remodeling of the current facilities in Brevard.
1986 After working in the “family business” for 49 years, Jack Westall sold J.M. Westall to 4 investors, Ed Metz, Bob Adams, Mal Hopkins, and Perry Bartsch.
1988 Brevard Lumber sold by Don Jenkins to same group of investors that purchased J.M Westall.
2005 The partners sold both business, Westall-Chandley and Brevard Lumber to the current owner, Frank Taylor, who combined the 2 into a single entity, Westall-Chandley Building Supplies, Inc.
2012 Leder Properties of Brevard has purchased the historic Brevard Lumber Company site on King Street with plans to turn the property into a mixed-use re-development featuring a farmer’s market, artist co-op, music venue and possible restaurant.
Brevard Lumber in the 1900’s
Photos Courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library.